Slippery Fish

Attachment:
QBeefA01.sub [210.21 KiB]
Downloaded 115 times

Currently in progress.

Post subject: Re: Qwertybeef's Campaign [WIP]
PostPosted: Fri 15 Jan 2016, 03:31 
Geneshift Creator

Awesome! I want to play more, why only 1 stage???? I love that guard house btw, looks so cool. And the dude shooting the targets is sweet as well. I'm curious to see where this story is going!

To address your issues here, it's a bug. Thanks for pointing this out because this is a very obscure bug that's been around for years. I can't believe we hadn't found it yet. The issue with the bug is that AI waypoints don't work if the guard is vertically lower than the width of the map. So for example your map is 128 tiles wide. However those guards are at positions 150 and 200 or so (and thus further down the map than row 128) and so the waypoints don't work. It's because I'm comparing the tile position to the map width instead of the map height. Silly bug!

Anyway I've fixed it for next version. If you want to keep working on this map until then a temporary fix would simply be to make your map as wide or wider than it is tall. Just expand the map width to the same as the map height, and you can reduce the size next version when the bug is fixed. I think this is why we've never noticed this bug before because most (all?) of the official maps are wider than tall anyway. So yeah, strange bug but I'm glad to have found it! Thanks!

Also can't wait to see where this map goes, looking very cool so far :D

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jan 2016, 04:09 
Slippery Fish

Just thought I'd post my progress. I'm mostly just working on the aesthetics of the map, but I know about the wonky triggers and text zones and timings and everything, that'll be updated eventually later.
Attachment:
QBeefA01.sub [469.66 KiB]
Downloaded 116 times

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jan 2016, 18:25 
Geneshift Creator

Lookin good! I love those massive pipe/chimmney things you've created. Really digging the aesthetic of this map. Has a much more militaristic vibe to it.

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan 2016, 04:43 
Slippery Fish

Got most of bomb 2 ready.. bomb 3 is giving me issues but I'll see what I can do. Escape is kinda barebones right now, but it should be interesting once I finally get around to finishing it.

Attachments:
QBeefA01.sub [509.96 KiB]
Downloaded 112 times

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan 2016, 19:36 
Geneshift Creator

Lookin' goood! I've added your vehicle filter on text zone triggers. Also just added a very cool feature where text zones can force guards to skip ahead (or behind) to a specific waypoint. The possibilities!

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb 2016, 04:36 
Slippery Fish

Just backing up the current versions of the map, because I may need to rework all the guard placements because of the way guards are alerted now. Will take time to make it less messy as well.

Attachment:
File comment: "Official" Version, this hasn't been touched in the test version, so it's outdated, but not broken like in the test version.
QBeefA01.sub [581.28 KiB]
Downloaded 101 times

Attachment:
File comment: Test Version, has minor changes to text and triggers.
QBeefA01.sub [592.42 KiB]
Downloaded 107 times

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb 2016, 16:52 
Geneshift Creator

Hey man, looking good! It's always a pleasure to play your maps and notice all the awesome details you put in. The bridges, chimneys, and other models are great, and also just making the map feel alive with NPCs having conversations. Love the references to the main campaign! MF is now officially set in New York City :p

I played the test version and noticed a few things that were broken as you said. There were no zombies spawning (you'll have to resassign the zombie zones to the bomb, should take 10s). Also as you mentioned the issue with guards not shooting eachother. This is a "bug" I'll need to fix. One bug is the vertical view range. I think I should make it so guards have infinite vertical view range when looking at other guards. Scientists should always have infinite vertical view range and only be defined by the view range circle around them, like a cylinder of vision.

Another thing which has changed is that guards no longer alert other guards. This is largely to stop Knickers being annoying and alerting enemies, and instead let you use him to lure the vision of guards for advancd stealth kills. I might have to code in some special option on guards to let them alert other guards or something. If you could give me a specific list of parts which have become broken in the test version and how the behaviour compares to the previous version I can look exactly what's wrong and make the necessary fixes. Like which guards on what stages etc. As always if you have any issues instead of beating your head against the wall trying to fix it, just post here or in the chat and directly ask me if it's even possible first. It'll save you a lot of time and I can probably just code it in anyway :D

Anyway as always looking amazing! This map makes me want to create a whole new map from scratch designed specifically for Stealth because it shows the potential in story building and creating epic scenes. I think you did the action scenes really well largely due to how spaced out it all is. I noticed a few areas that could benefit from the new changes I've added in the test version too. Specifically the flamethrower dude could have a larger "chase enemy rannge once hit" multiplier. I was able to just shoot him down and he just stood there, but if you increased the chase range once hit he could come charging at me.

Can't wait to see the next iteration, keep it up!

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr 2016, 04:55 
Slippery Fish

Posting for archiving purposes (So the next time something happens and my hard drive is dead or w/e, it'll be here.)
Basically the guard work is done through bomb.. 3? Still can't figure out how to get guards to follow people.. Some work, others decide nah and just stand there.

Attachments:
QBeefA01.sub [756.75 KiB]
Downloaded 96 times

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr 2016, 16:39 
Geneshift Creator

Amazing. Every time I see this map I feel bad for how unoriginal my maps are :p I reckon when I make a trailer of the game I'm gunna have to show off a few scenes from this. Such detail it looks amazing, especially the very start with all the debris lying around. Looking great, keep it up!

Here are just a few things I noticed:
1) When you get into the pickup those 2 guards tend to hop into the loafer instead. I could probably try fix this code-wise but in the meantime you could either remove the loafer or position those guards elsewhere.
2) http://prntscr.com/amtnb2 I missed the text but there's a typo on the guards text here, he ways "WOOOOOOOO!dw" when jumping the bridge.
3) Also in this area it might be nice to have some box so that the AI (and indeed the player) has a way to get across the bridge and up to the bomb without a car. Just put it out of the way or something. Reason is if I just drive straight through all the guards and do the jump the AI gets confused and has no way to get up to you. So they just stand there and you have to run back off the bridge to kill them anyway, then all the cars are blown up so you can't get back up.
4) Love these wires! http://prntscr.com/amtrjl Such great details

EDIT: I'm an idiot and played the wrong version :p Just tried the new version and it's even better. Love the action sequences at the start! You had some nice stealth mechanics there too, was cool that idea of not being able to hear over the M60 guards. It explained the discrepeancy between purple laser dudes not turning to my grenade explosion. Awesome!

I think in the next test build you will have a LOT of fun with the new text-zone invisible walls feature. I've used it extensively in TurbineS08 to add areas that guards can walk through but players can't. Make certain areas accessible after certain times, etc. You could create all sorts of great scripted sequences, stop the player getting lost, have hidden areas where you need to find the switch to unlock the door etc. Very groovy! Also what happened to that interrogation scene? That was awesome.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr 2016, 00:25 
Slippery Fish

bencelot wrote:
I think in the next test build you will have a LOT of fun with the new text-zone invisible walls feature. I've used it extensively in TurbineS08 to add areas that guards can walk through but players can't. Make certain areas accessible after certain times, etc. You could create all sorts of great scripted sequences, stop the player getting lost, have hidden areas where you need to find the switch to unlock the door etc. Very groovy! Also what happened to that interrogation scene? That was awesome.

I think I'll have a lot of fun with that feature too, I plan on adding a gate at the front that wont open on some difficulties (Insane, maybe hardcore), so you're forced to find another way into the base.

The interrogation scene should still be there, I've only changed the dialogue just a bit so that you're no longer "Sir", but just some kid. Playful text will be "Sir", Standard would be "Kid", Hardcore/insane everyone will be mean to you, but right now I'm just going to work on the standard difficulty. I've already changed it (After I uploaded) for the next version so that nothing shows up except on Standard difficulty.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr 2016, 01:28 
Geneshift Creator

Hah I like that idea making the guards treat you different for every level. New version will be in a few days I hope, looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Any last minute requests before I put it out?

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr 2016, 02:03 
Slippery Fish

Other than STM's suggestion to have an option that makes guards unpushable, nope.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]