Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Just a test stealth map
PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan 2016, 06:32 
Slippery Fish

Just made this to mess around with different things, figured I'd post it to see what I think... Overall if you speedrun it, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes once you figure out what works and what doesn't.
Attachment:
QwertyA01.sub [224.23 KiB]
Downloaded 101 times

It was pretty good practice, so eventually expect some campaigns from me.
I've only playtested it in playful, and I've scaled the difficulty mostly from that.. So I'd suggest playing on that difficulty.
This map was mostly a test of mapmaking tools and I mostly wanted to see what I could do with models/decals in a singleplayer setting, so it's not quite the best for combat, but everything is solveable.

Post subject: Re: Just a test stealth map
PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan 2016, 07:01 
Walking Encyclopedia

Note to testers: the difficulty setting doesn't matter much except for the ammo drop rate (which uses the default numbers). Just go standard and run it through.

As spoken on Skype.
I like it overall, just a few issues with the reinforcement guards being able to spot you when they are not supposed to(as in the above screenshot), and one of them getting stuck and not coming out after the loafer bazooka sequence.

Text zones are triggered purely by player and some of them are not well-positioned. Phasic Bullets pickup comes after the trigger that would cause the reinforcements to arrive, which is quite bad considering that it could potentially bug the sequence with the new skill prompt and because players would want to be able to move the skill location on their HUD etc.

The stairway to the steamy area is my least favourite part of the whole stage; the first time isn't so bad, but the second time it feels like a cheap trap because its very hard to see the patrol pattern, so it ends with me getting blasted in the face with shotguns everywhere, leaving me with very little HP for the zombies (no nearby medkits unless you're willing to run all the way left and then go one big circle back).

Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!

Post subject: Re: Just a test stealth map
PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan 2016, 16:47 
Geneshift Creator

Just did a standard speedrun (didn't upload due to running v0.995) and that was awesome! Between campaign based maps like this and fun-maps like STM's Pacman I'm really happy to see the stuff you guys are creating. Looking forward to your campaign!

I like the heavy use of text and action, it's really exciting. Graphical stuff like the exploding rocks at the start are a really nice touch too. It's given me some ideas for my own maps. I need to add more scripted events to keep things exciting. Maybe the 1st stage of Subway's bouncing bullets could be reworked to take some tips from the way you've done things here. Have an ally guard rush up to you and get the urgency up! Just like with regular map making I can learn a lot by watching what others do. And a map like this would be great to toss up on the official servers to give the rst of a community something new to play as well. Lemme know if you want me to put up this version or a revised one in a few days time :)

Anyway as for constructive criticism:
1) Text in general is too fast. You made the map so you already know what they're going to say, no one else does. Plus non-english speakers etc..
2) It's all a bit cramped. This is fine for a solo run but might be a bit messy in coop. Something to keep in mind for your next map.
3) In general someone of your skill level should be testing the game on insane difficulty, not playful. Make sure the game is well balanced for you on insane, because you're not only far better than any average player will be, but you're also the map maker and have a huge advantage due to knowing the puzzles. Make it work well for you on insane and let the default damage and health values (0.1, 0.2, 0.3) provide options for less experienced players. In general I found standard a tad too hard and I was really trying to figure stuff out and be stealthy.
4) For the sniper guards who shoot down that long hallway maybe you could reduce the field of view down to 20 degrees or something. This will make the view lasers much easier to see because a player will see all 12 of them isntead of just 1 random purple line. It's not like he needs a larger FOV anyway due to the cooridor bieng so long and cramped.
5) Fog is maybe a tad heavy, I actually found it hard to read the text. But I was playing on a laptop outside with max brightness settings. Probably something I need to code into the game than something you need to worry about.

Not too much to criticise really.. on the whole that was fucking awesome. I can't wait to see more! It's really exciting playing a new map for the first time :D :D Good work!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]