Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 86 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Fri 22 Nov 2013, 02:09 
Slippery Fish

bencelot wrote:
Could it be.. another big awesome map that could support Outbreak??

Btw, if you don't want to add Outbreak zones to these maps do you mind if I do it for you? You'll make plenty of CCs off it as Outbreak maps are in high demand right now. And of course you'd be free to change them at any time.

I'm pretty much done, I just need to tweak the lighting a bit and I'll upload it. (Got a lot of homework so maybe it'll be done in 24 hours or so)

PostPosted: Fri 22 Nov 2013, 02:11 
Geneshift Creator

Oh awesome, you've already started! Great news :D

v0.91 won't be out for a week or so anyway (as usual I keep pushing it back), so hopefully your maps will be ready by then.

PostPosted: Fri 22 Nov 2013, 08:54 
Slippery Fish

Updated with outbreak zones and lighting/sounds

Attachment:
Corrumpo.sub [305.65 KiB]
Downloaded 154 times

PostPosted: Fri 22 Nov 2013, 09:54 
Geneshift Creator

Awesome! Added :D

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014, 04:46 
Slippery Fish

Ben, I've got an idea for this map that will make it less... flat, just wanna run it by you to make sure it's alright by your standards.

Alright, so what I want do is lower the entire red section down, and have the green areas be turned into ramps, I might have the red section include the water pits in the corners as well. Then I will add more cover, possibly through the use of trenches, as to not impede vehicle movement that much.

After that, I'm thinking of dropping the blue area down and having the pink areas be ramps to that, however, I'm unsure of this because it might look too weird, I'll see when I get there.

And of course, after all of that, I'd have to rework the lighting and possibly the effects, but those shouldn't take that much time.

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014, 05:35 
Geneshift Creator

Sounds great man! Getting some more shape into the map would be good. Looking forward to seeing it :)

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jan 2014, 01:46 
Slippery Fish

Boom, updated.
Height variation added
More cover added.
(Would do a perspective picture to show the height variation, but perspective pictures look horribad)

Outbreak lighting version and bomb points.
Note: removed middle cooperative bomb as it made the zombies all derpy, replaced it with 4 bombs along the center.

Attachment:
Corrumpo.sub [352.23 KiB]
Downloaded 143 times

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:34 
Geneshift Creator

Nice man :) Will be added in v0.92.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Feb 2014, 23:34 
Geneshift Creator

Just had a run through of this map.. dat lighting. Ohmygawd!

Big lessons to be learned for other map makers.. position lights so they shine on the SIDES of boxes, not the top. It makes the map look so much more 3D and sexy as it highlights the vertical nature of map instead of making everything look flat.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Feb 2014, 00:00 
Geneshift Creator

On an unrelated note, I noticed that you have 8 bombs in coop like I have on my maps. I'm currently going through all of my maps and halving the number of bombs in coop mode. So before I had 4v4 in versus and 8 in coop, but now I've decided to change this so it's 4v4 in versus and choosing the best 4 in coop. The reasons I'm doing this are:

1) It makes coop more consistent with versus mode in terms of the ratio between blues and normal zombies and this makes balancing the game easier overall.

2) Most servers are at 1000 zombie souls. This seems to result in a pretty good round duration and keeps you from staying on the same map for too long. The problem however is 8 bombs is simply too many as it works out to only 125 souls per bomb. In my experience this isn't quite enough and will often result in someone dropping off so many souls that the team completely skips a bomb. This defeats the purpose of the bombs as they're meant to guide players around the map to defend themselves in different and unique areas. Having a bomb completely skipped might mean a whole section of the map goes unplayed. 4 bombs however means that each bomb requires 250 souls which means players should actually get a chance to stay at the bomb and never have it completely skipped.

3) Too many bombs means too much time running around the map and not as much time actually fighting zombies.

4) The bomb triggering event next version will most likely cause you to be slowed/frozen to the ground for a period of time. I'm expecting this to be a fun and unique aspect of the gameplay, but it's an extreme dynamic that needs to be in moderation. If you have too many bombs in the map players will end up spending more time defending against the blue zombies than they will actually running around shooting stuff. With 8 bombs you'd need to do this 7 times per round which would take up too much time, but with 4 bombs you only do this 3 times per round which seems much better.

Anyway just a thought, but with the new changes to the blues I think it's probably worth doing. I think in general we should have just enough bombs to cover the map and give players unique map layouts to work with, but no more.

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr 2014, 22:54 
Slippery Fish

Figured I'd make an update before v1.0, if Ben likes it he can update the official map, if not he can keep the old version and tell me what I need to fix.

GAMEPLAY CHANGES:
Added 2 more light towers on each corner near spawns. They are team colored during extraction and checkpoint (Only Reb/Sci), light blue during battle, and dark during outbreak

Removed 4 Co Op bombs to prevent blues from being TOO annoying
Moved 2 Co Op Bombs to absolute center of the map to be further away from zombie spawns. (Used to be right around the corner)

Added 2 boxes to each merc corner in the middle area to allow people to jump out of the middle portion without having to use the ramps. I chose the merc corners to prevent beelining towards extraction areas.

MISC CHANGES:
Added collisions

Added more decals. You will now see cables running from the light pillar areas in the corners to the middle portion towers. Tell me if this looks bad. Also added dirt, papers, blood near zombie spawns during outbreak, etc. After looking at the new downtown I figured it'd look nice if I copied some of the effects.

Attachment:
Corrumpo.sub [364.48 KiB]
Downloaded 130 times

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr 2014, 01:45 
Geneshift Creator

Awesome work as always man, thanks for keeping this map updated!!! You've finished it just in time for the big release!

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2014, 08:47 
Slippery Fish

herpderp, realized a very small smoothing error in the center portion of the map..

Attachments:
Corrumpo.sub [364.58 KiB]
Downloaded 145 times

PostPosted: Sat 17 May 2014, 01:44 
Geneshift Creator

Shall be included :D

PostPosted: Sun 01 Mar 2015, 11:01 
Slippery Fish

V1.5?

Could it be? Another update to this shitty, flat map?
Why yes it is!

What could possibly changed to make this map better? Let me show you.

Overall:
It's harder for snipers to snipe in most positions without being vulnerable. (You're welcome Vector)
It's harder to base rush without being vulnerable. (You're welcome STM)
It's a tad harder to maneuver vehicles around (Sorry Bencelot!)
It looks a bit prettier and polished! (You're welcome Bencelot!)

Note: I REALLY need you guys to playtest this one. I haven't had the chance to play this with anyone other than myself. I believe I've gotten all the obvious problems, but if you guys spot more, let me know and I'll try to work on it.
Attachment:
File comment: V1.5, I think.
Changelog: Added a lot of cover, Added Particles and Decals, Adjusted existing

Corrumpo.sub [419.57 KiB]
Downloaded 129 times

PostPosted: Mon 02 Mar 2015, 22:32 
Geneshift Creator

Functional and Fashionable? Sign me up baby! Added for the next ver.

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar 2015, 22:04 
Slippery Fish

Fixed some smoothing issues, should be all good now -.-
Attachment:
Corrumpo.sub [421.79 KiB]
Downloaded 117 times

Also bencelot, you mentioned that maps are going to be have to be remade next version anyways because of lighting? Anything I can do to make my maps more ready for the change?

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar 2015, 21:52 
Geneshift Creator

Hey man, thanks for the update. As for the remaking of maps, it will mostly be redoing the lighting because it's changed so much. The main things to consider when redoing the lighting are:

1) Make the lighting look sexy with the new shadows:
a) Position your lights in realistic positions and have an appropriate decal showing on the wall where the light is. We can't have random lights floating around anymore because it's so obvious where they are due to the accuracy of the shadows. So if you ever put a light somewhere you should have a light decal to match it :)
b) Use more ambience. Ambience looks good now and can be used to good effect, so we should increase the ambience values of our lights in general.
c) consider the specular angles, how the shadows are cast, etc... you can get some really nice effects going now if you really pay attention to where your lights belong. Lighting makes a HUGE difference to the sexiness of a map overall if done right.

2) Use fewer lights. The only downside of this new lighting system is that it takes longer to load the maps. Each tile needs to be calculated 256 times instead of 4 times, which is a signficant increase. You pay for the extra resolution with increased loading times. It's not the end of the world and Downtown still loads in under 10s for me, but Supply takes FOREVER at the moment, so I'm going to have to go through and remove a LOT of lights to make it load faster. Also in general having too many small little lights is a bit confusing now. They cast shadow lines all over the place and it looks a bit messy perhaps.. I'm going to go through my maps and replace all those little 15m radius lights with just a few big 80m lights instead. It'll load faster and look better as the shadows will all be coming from a single and obvious source, rather than having shadows all over the place.

3) Use brighter lights. This is to compensate for using fewer lights as mentioned above, but also because in general most of the maps are just too damn dark at the moment. The new shadows make the maps even darker too and so we should use bright lights to add nice contrast between them. As I said above increasing ambience goes a long way, but in general we should brighten the maps. Corrumpo could be set at dusk instead of night time perhaps. Who knows.. I think for gameplay and graphics it's not good to have crazy dark maps though. I think Downtown with it's single directional light looks a lot better than any most other maps just because it's bright and simple, with a nice sexy contrast between the light and the shadow.

So yeah, we want to redo the lighting so we can 1) make the maps sexier, 2) make the maps load faster, and 3) make the gameplay better through brighter maps.

What I might do when I'm finished with all the map editor stuff is release a zip of the latest changes for you guys to experiment with and update your maps in preparation for the next version :)

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2015, 00:00 
Slippery Fish

bencelot wrote:
Hey man, thanks for the update. As for the remaking of maps, it will mostly be redoing the lighting because it's changed so much. The main things to consider when redoing the lighting are:

1) Make the lighting look sexy with the new shadows:
a) Position your lights in realistic positions and have an appropriate decal showing on the wall where the light is. We can't have random lights floating around anymore because it's so obvious where they are due to the accuracy of the shadows. So if you ever put a light somewhere you should have a light decal to match it :)
b) Use more ambience. Ambience looks good now and can be used to good effect, so we should increase the ambience values of our lights in general.
c) consider the specular angles, how the shadows are cast, etc... you can get some really nice effects going now if you really pay attention to where your lights belong. Lighting makes a HUGE difference to the sexiness of a map overall if done right.

2) Use fewer lights. The only downside of this new lighting system is that it takes longer to load the maps. Each tile needs to be calculated 256 times instead of 4 times, which is a signficant increase. You pay for the extra resolution with increased loading times. It's not the end of the world and Downtown still loads in under 10s for me, but Supply takes FOREVER at the moment, so I'm going to have to go through and remove a LOT of lights to make it load faster. Also in general having too many small little lights is a bit confusing now. They cast shadow lines all over the place and it looks a bit messy perhaps.. I'm going to go through my maps and replace all those little 15m radius lights with just a few big 80m lights instead. It'll load faster and look better as the shadows will all be coming from a single and obvious source, rather than having shadows all over the place.

3) Use brighter lights. This is to compensate for using fewer lights as mentioned above, but also because in general most of the maps are just too damn dark at the moment. The new shadows make the maps even darker too and so we should use bright lights to add nice contrast between them. As I said above increasing ambience goes a long way, but in general we should brighten the maps. Corrumpo could be set at dusk instead of night time perhaps. Who knows.. I think for gameplay and graphics it's not good to have crazy dark maps though. I think Downtown with it's single directional light looks a lot better than any most other maps just because it's bright and simple, with a nice sexy contrast between the light and the shadow.

So yeah, we want to redo the lighting so we can 1) make the maps sexier, 2) make the maps load faster, and 3) make the gameplay better through brighter maps.

What I might do when I'm finished with all the map editor stuff is release a zip of the latest changes for you guys to experiment with and update your maps in preparation for the next version :)

Alright man, I'll be sure to try out things and see what looks good.

PostPosted: Tue 31 Mar 2015, 11:41 
Mercenary

Lol this thread is still alive?

/offtopic

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 86 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next