Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 86 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2011, 01:07 
Slippery Fish
User avatar

Joined: Mon 04 Oct 2010, 01:53
Posts: 2016
Gender: Male
I just had a random Idea one night about making a map like this. hope you enjoy.
If you notice anything outta place, let me know.
The Latin Word Corrumpo has many meanings, mainly: to break up, destroy, annihilate / spoil, weaken.

Image

I'm still a beginner at Effects, so if some effects are annoying, I'll try to make them less annoying.

P.S. If it's too dark, I'll lighten it up for you, I'm on my laptop and everything is brighter to me.. >_>

Attachment:
File comment: Second Version, Added Collision for darkened areas. And STM helped me fix instant explosion in the pit area.
Corrumpo.sub [52.43 KiB]
Downloaded 250 times

_________________
I make maps and stuff...
My Stats: S:W


Last edited by GelatinOverlord on Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2011, 05:19 
Walking Encyclopedia
User avatar

Joined: Sun 05 Jul 2009, 09:08
Posts: 3228
Location: Singapore
Gender: Male
* Lighting is fine in my opinion.
* The effects are very nice. Nice job on the typhoon effect at the center!
* Center zone can be crossed without jumping by just sprinting across (no need for dash, carrying Radio also works, Radar Truck also works). Very nice!
* The 4 towers around the center can only be accessed by Blast Jump and Car Jump.
* Extraction Truck spawns seem to have a tendency to favour either team by chance.
* DANGEROUS PROBLEM: Extraction Truck can be driven into the center of the map but will never make it to the other side. If players then try to drive it down in an attempt to destroy the truck, they'd find that they are unable to do so because the "veins" that lead to the center platform are hurt tiles(hence they do not instantly destroy vehicles, and they are kinda pointless seeing as you generally can't jump back up from there) and they are also close enough to solid tiles to obstruct the truck from falling into its destruction. Thus, this will cause the Extraction Truck to be stuck in the center forever and there is no hope of trying to extract the truck.

* I noticed a lack of collisions for the outer portion of the map and the edges do not possess full walls to prevent you from falling over, so it kinda gives a more free-roam feel to the map - although you might want to put some collisions on the outer parts which have been given no lighting tiles as it'd feel unnatural if you can access those spots. The walls are designed to be about 1m high so as to prevent cars from driving through, but this failed because of the height difference as a sufficiently fast car (I used Loafer, didn't try others) can go past the wall, and then it'd suddenly explode and disappear when you go a bit too far off.
* The outer portions jutting out of the map can be accessed by a Car Jump - I used a Bazooka and a Loafer to access that spot. Though you can't get back out without killing yourself, and using a Blast Cannon to access, while theoretically possible, is very hard to do so. The path leading to the portion are filled with kill tiles. The edges which have hurt tiles can't be walked on anyway since they are part of a slope. Is that intended?

* I am unsure about the fact that you can avoid the main portion of the map by going along the empty path surrounding the main portion of the map. Keep it there for now.

_________________
ImageImage
Member of [TG] Team Gamble
[[STM's Random Stuff]]
Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2011, 08:54 
Slippery Fish
User avatar

Joined: Mon 04 Oct 2010, 01:53
Posts: 2016
Gender: Male
STM1993 wrote:
* Lighting is fine in my opinion.
* The effects are very nice. Nice job on the typhoon effect at the center!
* Center zone can be crossed without jumping by just sprinting across (no need for dash, carrying Radio also works, Radar Truck also works). Very nice!
* The 4 towers around the center can only be accessed by Blast Jump and Car Jump.
* Extraction Truck spawns seem to have a tendency to favour either team by chance.
* DANGEROUS PROBLEM: Extraction Truck can be driven into the center of the map but will never make it to the other side. If players then try to drive it down in an attempt to destroy the truck, they'd find that they are unable to do so because the "veins" that lead to the center platform are hurt tiles(hence they do not instantly destroy vehicles, and they are kinda pointless seeing as you generally can't jump back up from there) and they are also close enough to solid tiles to obstruct the truck from falling into its destruction. Thus, this will cause the Extraction Truck to be stuck in the center forever and there is no hope of trying to extract the truck.

* I noticed a lack of collisions for the outer portion of the map and the edges do not possess full walls to prevent you from falling over, so it kinda gives a more free-roam feel to the map - although you might want to put some collisions on the outer parts which have been given no lighting tiles as it'd feel unnatural if you can access those spots. The walls are designed to be about 1m high so as to prevent cars from driving through, but this failed because of the height difference as a sufficiently fast car (I used Loafer, didn't try others) can go past the wall, and then it'd suddenly explode and disappear when you go a bit too far off.
* The outer portions jutting out of the map can be accessed by a Car Jump - I used a Bazooka and a Loafer to access that spot. Though you can't get back out without killing yourself, and using a Blast Cannon to access, while theoretically possible, is very hard to do so. The path leading to the portion are filled with kill tiles. The edges which have hurt tiles can't be walked on anyway since they are part of a slope. Is that intended?

* I am unsure about the fact that you can avoid the main portion of the map by going along the empty path surrounding the main portion of the map. Keep it there for now.


*Thanks for telling me about that extraction truck problem, Though I'm not sure how to fix it. Also, Why do the cars explode like that anyways? I think I remember a long time ago that they exploded once they actually touched the ground, Not midair...

*I didn't notice that about the 4 pillars outside the map, I fixed them.

*I added the collisions.

*The 4 towers in the center could've been accessed through different means. (Like phantom jumping ontop of some pillars, then onto those.) I made the tower lower, But I removed the sidings around it, To make the gap bigger, Thus making it more of a hazard...( It actually took effort to get your car stuck in those 2m Holes.)

*I raised the ledges along the border of the map, It's high enough to jump over. However, cars can still get over the border while going too fast into the path surrounding the main area..

I'm still uncertain on how to fix the Vein problem, If I make it all Red tiles, Some cars would just explode while trying to jump the ramp. If I make them Yellow, Then the problem is still there. Perhaps moving the actual Ramp and the part leading up to it back 1 tile on each side to make the space bigger and make it easier to blow up your car if it gets stuck? Or should I move the actual veins more apart?

Im going to work on it more and post a newer version tomorrow.

_________________
I make maps and stuff...
My Stats: S:W


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2011, 09:26 
Walking Encyclopedia
User avatar

Joined: Sun 05 Jul 2009, 09:08
Posts: 3228
Location: Singapore
Gender: Male
Qwertybeef wrote:
I'm still uncertain on how to fix the Vein problem, If I make it all Red tiles, Some cars would just explode while trying to jump the ramp. If I make them Yellow, Then the problem is still there. Perhaps moving the actual Ramp and the part leading up to it back 1 tile on each side to make the space bigger and make it easier to blow up your car if it gets stuck? Or should I move the actual veins more apart?

I think the problem with the vehicle seeming to explode in mid-air might be related to the fact that you used sloping and the vehicle in question so happened to touch the slope, and the slope happens to have kill tile properties. Maybe just making it all red except for the part where the tiles start to slope may solve the problem, or just remove sloping from the region altogether.

_________________
ImageImage
Member of [TG] Team Gamble
[[STM's Random Stuff]]
Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec 2011, 12:15 
the one and only
User avatar

Joined: Thu 30 Sep 2010, 12:07
Posts: 1409
Location: Germany
Gender: Male
The map looks really nice, I love how you played with the colours. Well done.
You could add more contrast though. I mean the map is very dark and looks the same everywhere in terms of brightness and illumination. Maybe you should make some areas brighter while others remain dark. I personally find it hard to play on a map too dark and find myself constantly increasing gamma when I do.

The tornado is really cool, could also be a bit improved, maybe you should make it even bigger?!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
chross

_________________
Image

Tag Generator | Subvein Notifier | My Maps | Talent Calculator


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 05:54 
Slippery Fish
User avatar

Joined: Mon 04 Oct 2010, 01:53
Posts: 2016
Gender: Male
Well, I'm stuck here...
Either I Prevent the extraction truck from blowing up in the pit, Or cars explode in the air when they jump over it...
I think Ben should add 2 different types of kill tiles. One that kills things instantly, In air, and one that kills anything that lands on it.. It'll make it much more easier than everything exploding everywhere...


So.. What should I do?
1. Stick with past layout, But make notches on the corners of the ramps to let the Extraction truck go into the kill points in the corners.
2. Make the Middle Non-Accessable by Vehicles.
3. Make the Middle Non-Accessable at all. (But add a whole bunch of cool effects inside of the "Core Room")
4. Don't do crap.

_________________
I make maps and stuff...
My Stats: S:W


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 06:43 
Walking Encyclopedia
User avatar

Joined: Sun 05 Jul 2009, 09:08
Posts: 3228
Location: Singapore
Gender: Male
Now I wish I can copy that part of Corrumpo and then play around with it in the map editor with edit map and not view map. *sigh*

Alright, I'll try and recreate the middle portion and see what I can find out.

_________________
ImageImage
Member of [TG] Team Gamble
[[STM's Random Stuff]]
Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 07:05 
the one and only
User avatar

Joined: Thu 30 Sep 2010, 12:07
Posts: 1409
Location: Germany
Gender: Male
Hi guys,
here STM, place this in your mymaps folder and you are able to edit corrumpo.
[Attachment Removed]

Please don't infringe Qwertys copyright, but I am sure you won't. Also, don't play this on any online server, it could very well mix up things. And better delete after resolving this issue here ;)

Cheers,
chross

_________________
Image

Tag Generator | Subvein Notifier | My Maps | Talent Calculator


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 07:09 
Slippery Fish
User avatar

Joined: Mon 04 Oct 2010, 01:53
Posts: 2016
Gender: Male
Hax?

_________________
I make maps and stuff...
My Stats: S:W


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 08:11 
Walking Encyclopedia
User avatar

Joined: Sun 05 Jul 2009, 09:08
Posts: 3228
Location: Singapore
Gender: Male
Thanks Chross.

Still experimenting on how to fix the map, but here's something you guys would need to know. Sloping isn't as smooth as we think it is, possibly bugged. Try walking on the edge of the Corrumpo map, and move slightly forward. If the sloping is genuinely smooth, the character will slide down the slope. Instead, we get the result of our character standing in mid-air, his feet not even touching the sloping edge of the map, and he is NOT able to jump! The same thing actually happens in Hydro.
Image
This is why cars explode in mid-air. The sloping tile's collision is actually higher than we think it is (its still counted as blocks rather than a nice slope), and thus the effect of the kill tile is much higher than it is supposed to be resulting in deaths occurring in mid-air.

I'm currently playing around with the height at the bottom of the slopes and lowering the upper portion of the veins at the ramps, after changing that I've been able to drive an extraction truck with no boost and without it exploding although it failed to cross over.

_________________
ImageImage
Member of [TG] Team Gamble
[[STM's Random Stuff]]
Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 08:51 
Walking Encyclopedia
User avatar

Joined: Sun 05 Jul 2009, 09:08
Posts: 3228
Location: Singapore
Gender: Male
Okay, I think I've found a way to fix up the center portion of the map. Here's how it looks like now:
Image

This is the smoothing:
Image

This is the health:
Image

Change the following areas:
Image
Copy the front edge of the ramp and paste it infront of it as seen in the picture. This will extend the ramp a little so that the Extraction Truck can cross the center even if it is driving backwards.

Image
Lower these two highlighted areas by 1m (lower height x4). This will fix the mid-air kill.

Image
Raise the center platform by 0.25m (raise height x1). This should help vehicles cross over.

Image
Raise these surrounding tiles by 4m (raise height x16). This will fix the mid-air kill; I don't know how its possible but my hypothesis is that a smoothed tile will take on some of the properties of an adjacent tile.


I've been able to drive the Extraction Truck to its doom should it get stuck. I don't know if it can still cause mid-air kills when you want to explicitly blow it up, but it should not happen when you're trying to get across the center.


Here's a download if you want to give this a try or need it for reference. Aside from these changes I've also turned the Extraction Truck spawns the other way because I needed to test the Extraction Truck quickly. I did not alter the edges of the map, but you should do so on your own as they also suffer from the mid-air kill problem.
(Note: this is made from Chross's hax, so you'd need to do the above steps yourself on your own copy of the map)
[Attachment Removed]

Let me know if this works for you Qwerty. If it does, I'll remove all attachments related to this fix and delete the other copy from my computer.
PS: I noticed a couple of wrongly-painted tiles =P

_________________
ImageImage
Member of [TG] Team Gamble
[[STM's Random Stuff]]
Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:09 
Slippery Fish
User avatar

Joined: Mon 04 Oct 2010, 01:53
Posts: 2016
Gender: Male
Heh, That was a better fix than my "Fix", Thanks!
Though there is a chance that the car might explode when going diagonally on the ramp... (I don't think people will be driving like women, So I don't think that's much of a problem, If it's fixable, I'm up for it..


Also, Which tiles were wrongly painted?

New Version going to be uploaded soon...

_________________
I make maps and stuff...
My Stats: S:W


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:18 
Walking Encyclopedia
User avatar

Joined: Sun 05 Jul 2009, 09:08
Posts: 3228
Location: Singapore
Gender: Male
Qwertybeef wrote:
Also, Which tiles were wrongly painted?

Image
There are more lying around in these kind of areas.

EDIT:
v Ahh okay, sorry I assumed.

_________________
ImageImage
Member of [TG] Team Gamble
[[STM's Random Stuff]]
Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:21 
Slippery Fish
User avatar

Joined: Mon 04 Oct 2010, 01:53
Posts: 2016
Gender: Male
It's meant to be like that. So everything isnt boring and repeated... >_>

_________________
I make maps and stuff...
My Stats: S:W


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011, 12:14 
the one and only
User avatar

Joined: Thu 30 Sep 2010, 12:07
Posts: 1409
Location: Germany
Gender: Male
To hack the map, I simply used a Hex editor to replace the username and saved the map. That did the trick.
Of course, this is not recommended.

Nice changes so far.

_________________
Image

Tag Generator | Subvein Notifier | My Maps | Talent Calculator


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2012, 11:43 
Geneshift Creator
User avatar

Joined: Sat 14 Mar 2009, 17:50
Posts: 6050
Location: Sydney, Australia
Gender: Male
Dude this map is seriously cool. Only just bothered to open this thread now. Have you made any more progress on this? I think with a few tweaks I could make this map official. Things I like:

1) The particle effects are AMAZING.. the swirly beam, the purple lights, the clouds down below. URNGH!!
2) The layout of the map is interesting, fair and balanced.
3) Looks very polished and awesome with a consistent and beautiful theme.


As you know what I'm trying to do now is add more vehicle friendly maps. At least for now I'm pretty much only going make a map official if it supports vehicles. This is because if I add any more non-vehicle friendly maps the ratio will get even worse and new players simply won't get the full Subvein experience. Anyway I think you could easily make this map support vehicles and become official by doing the following things:
1) Flatten the little concrete barriers surrounding all the pools of water. Leave the water pools as they look awesome, but flatten the barriers so vehicles can drive over them properly. Alternatively you can remove them entirely as they might feel 'bumpy' to drive over. Also flatten/remove those posts next to the jumps. I know they're there to provide cover and obstacles to shoot around but I really don't think they're necessary and the fun factor of doing donuts around the map and then zooming over those jumps in the middle far outweighs it.
2) Possibly widen a few steps/ramps to make it easier for vehicles to drive along, especially near the spawns.
3) The truck extraction zones are unfair. They need to be symertrical for both teams. Atm if the truck randomly spawns up the top then it gives an advantage to the Rebels and visa versa.
4) Are the particle effects too resource intensive? Not sure, runs fine on my comp but maybe we should playtest this. I reckon the swirl and the lights are fine, but perhaps the clouds down below could cause problems, depends how you've done them. Probably ok though. Definitely look awesome!
5) The lighting is a little bit dark. Don't touch it too much as it looks really good, but I'd have a bit of a play around with it and make some areas a bit brighter.
6) The outside border area looks a little strange how the light just kinda stops there and you have those diagonal shadows. Maybe you could fiddle with the lighting to made it fade a bit more, or perhaps raise the entire playable area of the map so the down part is darker or put some boxes down there or something. Not sure but it just looks a little artificial atm I spose. Maybe replace the directional light with a couple really big high up point lights shining on just the playable section.
7) Maybe checkpoint?
8) Also there seems to be a bug where vehicles just explode when going over the gaps, but that's my problem and I'll fix that for next version.


Anyway looks great man!

_________________
Creator of Geneshift and Nik Nak Studios. Hope you enjoy the game!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:16 
Walking Encyclopedia
User avatar

Joined: Sun 05 Jul 2009, 09:08
Posts: 3228
Location: Singapore
Gender: Male
bencelot wrote:
8) Also there seems to be a bug where vehicles just explode when going over the gaps, but that's my problem and I'll fix that for next version.

Yup, there seems to be a bug related to sloping and kill tiles(possibly because of collision that I described in a previous post) that result in mid-air deaths.

_________________
ImageImage
Member of [TG] Team Gamble
[[STM's Random Stuff]]
Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:20 
Geneshift Creator
User avatar

Joined: Sat 14 Mar 2009, 17:50
Posts: 6050
Location: Sydney, Australia
Gender: Male
Just letting you know I've just fixed the bug where vehicles randomly exploded in mid air. It actually needs to fall to the ground to explode now. So design your map with this in mind :D

_________________
Creator of Geneshift and Nik Nak Studios. Hope you enjoy the game!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr 2012, 09:01 
Slippery Fish
User avatar

Joined: Mon 04 Oct 2010, 01:53
Posts: 2016
Gender: Male
bencelot wrote:
Dude this map is seriously cool. Only just bothered to open this thread now. Have you made any more progress on this? I think with a few tweaks I could make this map official. Things I like:

1) The particle effects are AMAZING.. the swirly beam, the purple lights, the clouds down below. URNGH!!
2) The layout of the map is interesting, fair and balanced.
3) Looks very polished and awesome with a consistent and beautiful theme.


As you know what I'm trying to do now is add more vehicle friendly maps. At least for now I'm pretty much only going make a map official if it supports vehicles. This is because if I add any more non-vehicle friendly maps the ratio will get even worse and new players simply won't get the full Subvein experience. Anyway I think you could easily make this map support vehicles and become official by doing the following things:
1) Flatten the little concrete barriers surrounding all the pools of water. Leave the water pools as they look awesome, but flatten the barriers so vehicles can drive over them properly. Alternatively you can remove them entirely as they might feel 'bumpy' to drive over. Also flatten/remove those posts next to the jumps. I know they're there to provide cover and obstacles to shoot around but I really don't think they're necessary and the fun factor of doing donuts around the map and then zooming over those jumps in the middle far outweighs it.
2) Possibly widen a few steps/ramps to make it easier for vehicles to drive along, especially near the spawns.
3) The truck extraction zones are unfair. They need to be symertrical for both teams. Atm if the truck randomly spawns up the top then it gives an advantage to the Rebels and visa versa.
4) Are the particle effects too resource intensive? Not sure, runs fine on my comp but maybe we should playtest this. I reckon the swirl and the lights are fine, but perhaps the clouds down below could cause problems, depends how you've done them. Probably ok though. Definitely look awesome!
5) The lighting is a little bit dark. Don't touch it too much as it looks really good, but I'd have a bit of a play around with it and make some areas a bit brighter.
6) The outside border area looks a little strange how the light just kinda stops there and you have those diagonal shadows. Maybe you could fiddle with the lighting to made it fade a bit more, or perhaps raise the entire playable area of the map so the down part is darker or put some boxes down there or something. Not sure but it just looks a little artificial atm I spose. Maybe replace the directional light with a couple really big high up point lights shining on just the playable section.
7) Maybe checkpoint?
8) Also there seems to be a bug where vehicles just explode when going over the gaps, but that's my problem and I'll fix that for next version.


Anyway looks great man!

1. kk.
2. Not only did I widen the ramps, But also the roads.. And of course I had to redo some pools so it doesn't look bland with giant areas filled with square metal tiles.
3. Will make the truck spawns at the merc spawns.
4. I get 21FPS with them off, While standing on one of the towers looking over the mid. 17 When They're on. And around 14-15 When I'm actually down in the middle. I think I might reduce the amount of particles in both the wind tunnel thing and the clouds.
5. Have to redo lighting anyways, Because I made things wider.
6.I'll stick with Directional lighting, But make it a bit dimmer, And also add some more range on the point lights I already have. And then add collision/darkness to the very edges of the map.
7. Alright.
8. Huzzah!

Some side notes, Seeing as Gangsters have uberhax long range sight, I'll add some jumpable obstacles in some places. Also, I will add a wall or two in places that won't interfere too much with driving, Because no one likes being sniped from halfway across the map.

_________________
I make maps and stuff...
My Stats: S:W


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Corrumpo
PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr 2012, 10:24 
Geneshift Creator
User avatar

Joined: Sat 14 Mar 2009, 17:50
Posts: 6050
Location: Sydney, Australia
Gender: Male
Sounds GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

_________________
Creator of Geneshift and Nik Nak Studios. Hope you enjoy the game!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 86 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron