Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: v1.140 Suggestions #1
PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec 2018, 05:39 
Walking Encyclopedia

1) Re-add 'Ctrl' to crouch and incorporate it with Camera Zoom.
Crouching is a staple of shooting games and its removal has honestly hampered both the balance and depth of the game. The point of the move is to increase accuracy at the cost of mobility, which is particularly important for guns like AK, MGs and Barrett.
At the same time, I noticed that setting the Camera Zoom option to 1.00 actually makes you able to see further, and that you can actually see further compared to the old days. I understand this camera option was originally there to help satisfy vets making the transition from the old to new camera.
Rather than completely rework the camera to deal with this issue, what I'd suggest is to remove the Camera Zoom option, and instead build it into Crouch. So whenever you crouch, you camera zooms in, allowing you both to see further and "enlarge" the target you're trying to shoot at. This can also double as a proper scope function for Snipers and balance its notorious view range advantage.
One more thing - currently when you are in the driver seat, your view is always zoomed out to the maximum, but if you are riding shotgun, your view is always based on your camera zoom option. This is very disorienting and should be fixed to one camera zoom type.

2) Remove 'X' to change hands.
This option is now more or less completely irrelevant these days. There's hardly any situation where you'd need to switch the angle of your gunfire anymore now that many maps and fights happen in open areas and tend to just make close range engagement more difficult. I would suggest simply making all guns fire from the center, and relegate the hand-switching as a kind of cosmetic. The 'X' key can then be reserved for Self-Heal/Stimpack since Crouch could be re-added.

3) Spawning in Battle Royale
Players should be given the standard spawnshield(1.5s invincibility) at the start of each BR round. Right now, you can immediately knife people but are not able to move away at the start of each round, which means it is entirely possible to get spawnkilled in BR, even during freezetime.
In addition, players seem to be able to spawn at completely different heights. I believe this is because the game doesn't reset your falling velocity before placing the players in the air, thus leading to some players appearing lower than the usual height, sometimes to the point of not being knifeable.
On top of fixing this, I would suggest that players who have been killed early(Falling Samurai style) will retain the slower-falling glide when they initially respawn as a zombie - this is to prevent zombies from just outright clawing still-falling players out of the air in a most unfair way(since they start from higher and are harder to detect while they fall fast enough to catch up and hit you in mid-air).
Furthermore, items don't seem to get reset properly in BR. Often you'd find weapons and vehicles from the previous round lying around, and players can actually exploit this by deliberately dropping their items at the end of a round and then go back to pick them up. I also find that vehicles seem to randomly start to smoke and eventually explode even without being in the ring.
Last but not least, I think the Minimap should ALWAYS automatically show in full size when spawning in BR instead of having to hold ALT to do so. This is a great benefit that every player should have and shouldn't be restricted to players who know how to press and hold ALT. Hell, maybe even make an option to make the minimap always display in full size.

4) Annoyances when picking up items
Even with auto-pickup disabled, players with only a knife will not only auto-pick grenades, but automatically switch to them. This is EXTREMELY annoying when you're trying to go for a knife kill but have to go past a nade pickup. Furthermore, nades shouldn't have any sort of priority when the 'E' key is involved because players will always automatically pick them up anyway.
At the same time, players don't even auto-pickup(without auto-switching to) a USP when they have no pistol. The USP is an extremely common and important basic weapon, yet it doesn't get picked up automatically and the 'E' key often picks up some other weapon or nade.
When players unlock new items, their game is paused, which also grants these players invulnerability. Not only does this break the flow of the player, but it also means that these players can potentially grief/troll by deliberately NOT disabling the help tip that pops up. That means they remain invulnerable indefinitely and can stall the game indefinitely.

5) Player Zombies in BR
As mentioned many times, the concept of respawning as a zombie when killed is cool since it means that players don't have to suffer being forced to wait or otherwise have a downtime. However, as they are now, swarming up on a living player all at once is the ideal strategy, which is very bad for the living player. Furthermore, this is actually also very bad for the zombies because it is the last zombie who lands the hit who wins, since players who return to life are left without any weapons, reduced HP/MP and have no defenses against any remaining zombies that get near him.
Here's my suggestion: whenever a zombie is killed by a survivor, the survivor unleashes a kind of aura burst that ONLY hurts nearby zombies - this aura burst also happens when a zombie successfully kills a player and is himself revived. In addition, a revived survivor will gain 0.5s of invulnerability. This helps to discourage swarming while also encouraging players to be the first zombie to land a hit as opposed to waiting for the last hit.

6) How I imagine controller controls would be like.
Using PS controller as a point of reference:
Quote:
L2 = Jump(space). R2 = Shift(shift).
L1 = Skill(RMB). R1 = Shoot(LMB).

Up/Down = Cycle Gun
Left/Right = Cycle Skill

Select = Buy Menu(B)
Start = Menu(ESC)

/_\ = Interact(E)
|_| = Heal(X)
.O. = Reload(R)
.X. = Place Chem(C)

Left Analog = Movement
Right Analog = Aiming (this basically requires using camera zoom 0.00)

L3 = Crouch(Ctrl); toggle
R3 = ALT; toggle

EDIT:
7) UI Issues
* Add a (slightly transparent) black border around the green cursor. Makes it visible even if the background has a horrible colour.
* Also option to change cursor colour. Also, "increase cursor size" shouldn't also increase the size of the line.
* Fix the chat messages having grey words instead of white words - not sure if its a HUD Alpha issue.
* Separate minimap HUD alpha from the other HUD alpha settings.

8) Server Display Issue
The "x players online now" on the top right of this forum has some major inaccuracy issues, always leaving out several sets of players in some servers.

There's actually way more suggestions that I have in mind, mostly with regards to the interface and some balance tweaks and the achievement system, but I think this will suffice for now.

Credits to Illusion & Affle for my signature & avatar respectively!

Last edited by STM1993 on Tue 25 Dec 2018, 07:43, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: v1.140 Suggestions #1
PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec 2018, 05:58 
Gobbling Turkey

1) If crouch is re-added, I'd like to see it use the same button as placing a chemical. It's a button we are familiar with but don't use regularly. And why wouldn't you crouch when placing a chem?
I don't think changing camera zoom is a good idea. I do prefer having it mid-way, but from watching other people play like on youtube it's great when they're not zoomed in. Otherwise the camera flies all over the place looking for things.
Also confused about the car camera.

2) I find it useful once in a while. And I like having my character left handed because no one else does it. But I'd be fine with it as a cosmetic.

3) I agree. Although it shouldn't happen on normal maps, it is possible to spawn adjacent to someone and just left click to gib them. +1 Full mini-map during free fall.

4) That means they remain invulnerable indefinitely and can stall the game indefinitely. Trollcelot comes again.

5) tl;dr, reward first zombie in a train to kill a player, and not the last zombie in the zombie train to hit them.

I do have a life. I'm just trying really hard to not have one.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec 2018, 07:16 
Walking Encyclopedia

Asterparity wrote:
1) If crouch is re-added, I'd like to see it use the same button as placing a chemical. It's a button we are familiar with but don't use regularly. And why wouldn't you crouch when placing a chem?

Thing is that sometimes you'd want to crouch without moving in preparation for a fight, and if you're gonna hold the crouch down, it'd also constantly play the "pop" sound for placing down a chemical. Furthermore standing perfectly still is effectively crouch right now; the main point of having the crouch button as opposed to standing perfectly still is to allow you to just inch your way around a bit without having to completely stop.

Perhaps the chem button would work better when mapped to Shift instead - you're not supposed to move while placing chems, and at the same time shift without a direction key doesn't do anything as it is.

Asterparity wrote:
5) tl;dr, reward first zombie in a train to kill a player, and not the last zombie in the zombie train to hit them.

And also allow a player to protect himself from a nearby coordinated swarm by killing just one of the zombies.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Dec 2018, 10:54 
the one and only

@STM

I pretty much +1 all of your suggestions.

Many things there that have noticed as well. Initially I thought that exploding cars were due to the fact that the circle of doom damages from the ground (Level 0) while the actual circle is visible a tad later (maybe a perspective thing).
Also many maps create dead ends when the circle closes in, that could be fixed as well.

Merry Xmas to all.

Tag Generator | Subvein Notifier | My Maps | Talent Calculator

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan 2019, 00:46 
Walking Encyclopedia

Putting in more stuff I noticed, typing this while half-asleep:
* I hardly notice I'm taking damage until I've reached 20hp and don't know where I'm getting shot from, that's no good. This is something the old 2D sprite versions did better.
* Vertical aiming should be based on whoever is nearest the cursor, not whoever is nearest the path of the bullet. It also should NOT aim based on the height position of a player in the passenger or open seat of a car.
* The light from earning awesome points is visible to all players... which means one can pinpoint the exact location of the user who earned the points.
* The homing target cursor doesn't show up when aiming at a vehicle(most notable for Hornet).
* Character model looks weird when gliding north and slashing with a lightsaber.
* The blue edges for "jumpable" tiles can be misleading because they also show up for little steps that can be walked up.
* As mentioned in pinned messages(#mapmaking) you can actually shift over walls that you can't normally jump over.
* Old bug: you can deliberately drop a grenade/bazooka after expending it. This bypasses the weapon deletion, allowing the empty weapon to be picked up or melted in alchemy.

Balance-related:
* Based on how the bots played, Force Fields & Shockwave look to be the most powerful active skills in the game so far. On top of defense, the VERY high damage explosion of the Force Fields is basically an unavoidable death-sentence unless you have shifts and the FF user does not. Shockwave I needn't state the obvious usefulness of completely nullifying an entire barrage of bullets.
* You know... we kinda went back to square one in a sense. Instead of sprinting with stamina, we now have shifting with phasers. If you run out, you're pretty much screwed in combat.
* SMGs are so incredibly weak they're useless. USP is a bit too strong(better than rifles even). AK feels like it can't hit anything properly. M3 Super is the top-tier weapon choice in most scenarios, otherwise Ruger with some good aiming is preferable.
* Healing out of combat is a MASSIVE pain. Leveling up Self Repair makes you slowed/vulnerable for such a long time its ridiculous and its heal rate is worse on top of that and its pretty hard to keep track of 30mp, especially since it doesn't match up to 20hp being critical.
* The real reason why bots are so good with knife is because they abuse the fact that the drawtime is 0.01s and can slash immediately. Human players don't do instant knife switches like that, they usually pull out the knife in advance and have a delay before slashing. If not for this instant drawtime, bots would be easily knifed, but as it is, it is extremely unfair.
* Please nerf the bots and have an option to make them not scale. They have inhuman aim & reactions, love to prioritize human players too much.
* I suggest changing knife to use reload instead of rpm. This makes it much clearer whether you can slash again or not, and forces players to follow-through with the knife slash if they want to be able to quick-draw it again. Do ensure to make Phasic Bullets & Clip Magnet penalty don't affect this.

Definitely missed some stuff but this will do for now.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]