Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Changes for v0.994
PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep 2015, 03:07 
Geneshift Creator

NEW STEALTH GAME MODE!
Stealth is a new singleplayer/co-op game mode where you sneak around, assassinate guards and kill zombies. It is similar to Outbreak as it features bombs and zombies but it has a number of special rules that make it play very differently. The main difference is that there are AI guards who you must kill before you are able to trigger the bomb. These guards have a cone-shaped LOS and you can use stealth to sneak up behind them. Furthermore you do not have access to the full range of weapons and skills, but will discover items on the ground that the map maker has provided you. Each map therefore plays like a puzzle, where players must watch the movement patterns of the guards and figure out how to kill them with the limited resources available to them.

Stealth mode works in co-op but also plays great in singleplayer, finally giving Mutant Factions a singleplayer mode. I have released 3 official maps for this mode so far and will be working on another 7 to release a complete singleplayer campaign shortly. All feedback is welcome and have a go in the map editor and see what kind of awesome puzzles and/or stories you can create. There are plenty more details as well like speech bubbles for guards to talk to you (enemy and allied), combo kills, a progressive unlock discovery system, speedrun leaderboards and even in-game music! This mode is huge and I'm very excited to play it with you tall!

CAMPAIGN MODE!
Campaign mode is a special variation of the new Steath game mode. It's found in the singleplayer menu and you can currently play the first 3 levels (I will be releasing 7 more next version). This is an actual campaign. It has a story, puzzles, item unlocks, music and a whole new sort of gameplay unlike anything you've ever experienced in this game before. It is the first true singleplayer mode of Mutant Factions. Crazy! The campaign can be played in 4 difficulty levels with new unlocks available in every level. Once you complete Standard you can unlock Hardcore and after that Insane. Players who complete a campaign will get their name on the leaderboard where you can compete for speed, deaths and total cash earned. Again we only have 3 stages so far but this will probably give you a solid hour of playtime or more. The main reason I'm releasing this version now is to get feedback on these 3 stages so I can do the remaining 7 correctly, so please let me know what you think and have fun!

NEW MUSIC!
I've replaced the old menu music (which I just found on the internet) with a catchy new tune I created myself! I've also created 6 other tracks which you can listen to in the new Campaign mode. I'll be making more tracks in the future when I finish up the campaign, and once I have enough tracks might even have an option to use them in PvP. But for now please let me know which tracks you enjoy/dislike so I can keep improving them.

GENERAL CHANGES
I have to admit that I was a bit lazy with the changelog this version and won't be able to list all the changes, which is ironic because this is probably the biggest version I've ever released in terms of new content. The new Stealth mode had a huge amount of work involved and in the process of making it I changed a number of existing things to just make the overall game behave better. I'll try list everything I can remember, but for everything I've forgotten well.. that will just be a pleasant surprise!

I have made a number of graphical updates. This includes improved texturing, lighting, tone mapping, and recolouring of some textures. I've reworked the shaders to make the whole game look a bit more smooth and colourful. I've made plenty of small tweaks like making players brighter, dropped weapons bigger, made firing weapons more animated and made bullet trails more unique and colourful.

Chemical Warfare is now called Conquest.

Vision works differently. You can now see enemies who are below you for an infinite distance, compared to 5m distance before. This means standing up on a building has a much more significant height advantage.

I've made a number of changes to all the maps, mostly graphical stuff to work with the new lighting system.

Maps are now encrypted when you save them in the map editor, preventing players from tampering with other people's map data.

I have made a number of performance tweaks that should make in-game play at a higher FPS and make the map editor SIGNIFICANTLY faster.

I've rearranged a bunch of stuff in the menu. Improved the lobby controls to let you search for LAN and NET at the same time, preload servers when you first open the game, and streamlined the registration process.

Made a bunch of improvements to the HUD such as adding helpful text to show skill hotkeys and how skill queues work.

Pinging the map will now put an actual ping icon into the map so you can see exactly where you ally (or enemy) is pointing.

The map editor has got a bunch of nice changes. Most obviously all the new stuff for Stealth mode, but also a hgue performance boost as well. I also improved the lighting in the map editor so it lines up better with what you'd see in-game.

Speedrun leaderboards are now available for Stealth mode as well as Outbreak, furthermore they are available in all 4 difficulty levels as well. We therefore now have 2x4x4x10=320 individual official leaderboards. Wooo! A bit too many you say, I agree. But it's ok because we also have 4 new special CAMPAIGN leaderboards (one or each difficulty) which take the total time of all your Stealth runs in the campaign. These are shown front and centre on the singleplayer menu page and will provide players an actual important leaderboard to actually compete over.

Sprinting is the new default mode of travel. Holding shift will now make you talk, and double tapping shift will toggle on walk mode (optional).

Weapons now reload in a different way. Reloading no longer discards bullets, but instead saves them and adds them to the reserve ammo.

Weapons dropped on the ground will display with a glow if they still have ammo inside them.

I've added a new option to automatically pick up weapons off the ground (optional).

Tweaked a few sound effects that were too loud.

OUTBREAK CHANGES
Because the new Stealth mode also features bombs and zombies plenty of changes have been made to the original Outbreak (not that it matters cause I don't think anyone will play Outbreak now that Stealth mode exists). A few things I can remember:

Zombies have 50% the rate of fire.

Zombies now scale up their damage instead of ROF in higher difficulty levels.

Bomb orders are now numbered in the minimap.

You can now buy from previously exploded bombs.

The order of the bombs can be configured in the map editor.

Zombiefied human fists are now less effective against clusters of bots.

WEAPON CHANGES
Knife now deals 100hp instead of 108hp.

SKILL CHANGES
Force Fields now have infinite health instead of 200hp.

Bouncing Bullets self damage now ranges from 30% to 50% instead of 40% to 60%.

Frenzy duration is now 10s instead of 5s.

VEHICLE CHANGES (FOR OUTBREAK)
Hornet stinger missiles now deals x5 damage vs bots with a x1.5 explosion radius.

BUG FIXES
Fixed a bug with shaders in windows 10.
Fixed a bug with vsync on some versions of windows.
Fixed a bunch of bugs in the map editor.
Fixed a number of graphical glitches.
Fixed a bug with bazooka sounds not playing right when holding a Flamethrower.
Fixed a whole lot more stuff I just don't remember anymore. It's all good!

Post subject: Re: Changes for v0.994
PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep 2015, 03:54 
Gobbling Turkey

bencelot wrote:
OUTBREAK CHANGES
YOu now number on the bomb.

OUTKEK OBAMA CONFIRMED

OUTBREAK STEAKHOUSE CONFIRMED

OUTTAKE BLOOPERS CONFIRMED

OUTBAKE MARTHA STEWART CONFIRMED

OUTBREAK SKILL TREE CONFIRMED

ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED

Ok I'm done.

I do have a life. I'm just trying really hard to not have one.

Last edited by Asterparity on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep 2015, 08:51 
Crimea is ours!

OUTERPARITY CORRUPTED

PostPosted: Tue 29 Sep 2015, 19:19 
Mercenary

is that joke?

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2015, 00:08 
Geneshift Creator

Ok I've TRIED to update this changelog with all the changes I've made. 90% of the work these past 3 months has been in the Stealth mode. So while the Stealth mode description is only a few sentences long, the amount of work involved is far more than almost any other version I've released so far. There is just too much new stuff to explain in a detailed changelog style, so just go play it and enjoy all the newness for the first time! Don't be fooled by the small amount of text though, this version is huge! Even the amount of work I've done since I released the latest test build is a lot, trying to detail all the work before that would be too much.

Also a whole bunch of small PvP related things were changed in the process of making this new mode. But ironically I had to make so many small changes that I just did the changes immediately and didn't bother adding them to the changelog. So now I've forgotten it all! I've tried to put down what I can remember but I know I'm missing a lot of stuff. Some of it I posted up here, other stuff I just did. Anyway it's all good, I think I got all the skill/weapon changes written down (not much cause of small feedback this version). If you remember me mentioning anything over the past 3 months that you don't see here lemme know so I can chuck it in!

Anyway it's all about the new Stealth mode this version. It does feel like a kinda half release though I must say, because despite the huge amount of coding I've done it's all for nothing without actual maps to play it on, and I'm only releasing 3 maps so far. But I have to do this because I need as much feedback and stats tracking as possible to make the other 7 maps in the campaign as good as can be. Next version when these maps all come out you will truly see the magnitude of awesomeness this version brings! The coop diversity and variety in maps will be amazing! The player retention of newbies who have a proper way to learn will be sexy! The reviews the game gets when reviewers actually have someting to play will be mind boggling! I hope. But we'll have to wait till next version before I start advertising again. TIme will tell.

Until then please have fun with the new mode, give me as much feedback as possible and maybe have a play in the map editor and see if you can create a few of your own community made puzzles! I'd be really excited to play those!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]